Victoria Contra Dances
- Are held September thru June 7-10 pm.
- Cost $15.
- Start with basic dances; the complexity builds as the evening progresses.
- No Dance partner required.
- Beginners welcome, as the dance steps are taught throughout the evening.
- Bring soft-soled shoes for dancing protecting the hall dance floor.
- An inclusive, fragrance free, friendly, fun community building activity.
- Dance to a live band playing traditional tunes.
- A caller teaches each dance and cues dance moves throughout.
- Are volunteer-run.
Contra Dance Is
- Danced to a live band playing traditional fiddle tunes
- A "called" dance; a caller teaches each dance and cues the moves throughout
- A couple dance, but you don't need to bring a partner
- An easy dance to pick up right away
- A great way to build friendly, welcoming and inclusive community
- Like this! (that's us a few years ago)
- Here's more info.
- See also introductory session with George Marshall
- Resources and more links: CDSS Country Song & Dance Society
Questions? Want to volunteer? Contact us at info@VictoriaContraDance.com.
Follow us on Facebook
Where do we go when we want to dance within driving distance of home?
Vancouver Contra Dance held every other Saturday, St. James Hall
Lake City Contra Dance held every Thursday night
Emerald City Contra Dance ("Phinney") held every Friday night
Black Diamond Community Dance first Saturdays
See also Port Angeles Community Contra Dance (Facebook)
Bellingham Country Dance Society every other Saturday
Dance weekends that we never, ever miss:
Supersonic Contra Dance held in Seattle first weekend in February (2023)
Chehalis Contra Dance Camp 3rd weekend in September: Sullivan Community Hall in Surrey
Dance weekends that we've attended, love, and plan to return to:
Hey Fever (Ottawa Contra Dance) held in Ottawa
Lady of the Lake (Idaho, N-Sid-Sen) camp and conference centre, eastern shore of Coeur d'Alene Lake
Epicentre (North Bay Country Dance), held in San Francisco
Contra Carnival (Central Coast Country Dance Society) held in San Louis Obispo, California
Dance weeks we have our eyes on but haven't yet made the journey:
Tropical Dance Vacation (run by George Marshall, St. Croix and Hawaii)